Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, August 14, 2009

Glucose Testing is Yucky!!

So I took my first glucose test on Wednesday afternoon. Let me tell you that was gross!! They gave me the option of orange and lemon lime. Of course I took the lemon lime as it is clear and not that awful orange color! It tastes just like drinking a glass of cough syrup... literally. Then you have to finish it in 5 minutes and wait around for your blood to be drawn an hour later.

Fortunately in between I had a doctors visit so I didnt have to think about the time passing. Not that the doc appt. was any fun either... dont get me wrong, great doc and very comfortabe rooms etc, but colposcopies are just no fun. Cold forecepts and rough sticks makes for a tense girl!

The doctor did redeem the appt in the end though, we got to hear the baby's heart beat and wow is that ever amazing! He put that little microphone on my tummy and a few seconds later, there it was, thrumping along so quickly, it just takes your breath away! He says the baby is developing well and is healthy so that is great! We will come in next month at 19 weeks and have another ultrasound where we will gt to bring home a DVD of the scan and the heartbeat, I cant wait to post it for you all so you can share this with us!

Well back to the lab for the blood test, my fave part! she took my blood and off I went no problems, right? Wrong.

Fast forward past the great night out seeing Wicked to Thursday morning. The doctors office called me and much to my devistation my results came back, glucose level - High. So what does this mean? It means that I have to go back in next week after 24 hours of no carbs, no sugar (pretty much 24 hours of hungry) and take a 3 hour test, with 4 different blood tests and twice as much of that awful cough syrup on a fasting tummy to see if I have gestational diabetes. oh this is my lucky day! Needless to say I didnt take it well, running on 5+/- hours of sleep and being caught off gaurd with a test result I fugured was just a formality and for the first time I understand how emotional a pregnant woman can be.

So after much reading about it and talking to several people I am beginning to feel a bit better about it now and have decided just to buck up and deal with it. If I have it, I have it and I will make it through, no question. Now all that remains is a week of looking forward to this lovely 4 hours of hunger and sickly sweet drink and oh right the 4 pin pricks in my poor arms.
Well, as they say; this too shall pass.

After all the icky-ness of the day Jamie made me dinner while I got to sit and just be for a few minutes. He made homemade burgers with all the fixin's and then sat me down to a nice relaxing hour of Gilmore Girls. It was so great, he took care of Dodge and the dishes and the garbage and I got to be in bed by 9:15. yeah sleep! He is so good to me, it makes it all better :)

Now its Friday so only a few more hours of work to get through and we get to spend the whole weekend together! Cant wait!

Until next time, have a great day!

:) Ally

1 comment: